Long time no post. I’ve been very busy coding. Coding, coding, coding.
I just wanted to stop by and say that I’ve uploaded some new videos to my youTube account and welcome all to check them out: http://www.youtube.com/rockytastic
The Videos (newest listed first)
The last film I finished was A Movie Time. It’s a funny little film I did for an art show run by some friends, Erin Smith and Shant Kalendarien. The theme of the art show was “the month of June,” which is associated with youth. A Movie Time was my response.
The latest upload was June, which I did for my Beginning Production class at CSULB. It’s one of those “art” films. That’s a comment I hear a lot. Well, I wanted to make something more serious than my other work, but the constraints of the assignment meant I had to be very creative and June is the result.
You may also notice the Jet Powered Swift Killer Bee. Swift is a company I’ve done video work for. They’ve been developing a UAV called the Killer Bee and for kicks they gave a shell to their RC test pilot E. Schuster. Schuster’s quite a mechanic and he ended up sticking a jet engine into the shell and making a pretty awesome little plane. As good as he is with mechanics, he’s not one for computers, so I cut his footage together and put it up on my account. As of this moment, this is the most popular video on my account. I guess if I want some hits I should cut out this creative garbage and upload more loud, fast stuff or explosions.
Lastly, there is One Man’s Moon, the first video I ever uploaded. It was a short for my cinematography class last fall. I enjoy this film a great deal. It’s probably the only film I’ve done for which I planned every detail and it all went well (probably because the whole process was just the actors and I, no one else to worry about). As far as creating a solid, cohesive product goes, this one is my favorite.
Ken and I are planning to go down to Matchframe soon to telecine our old black and white 16mm projects. I’ll get those up as soon as I can. They’re a lot of fun.
Bryson and I have wanted to get Meteor Henry up before AnimeCon in Long Beach so we could go promote it, but I’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen so right now I’m trying to get a demo ready. I’d rather not make sacrifices just to get the game out for a convention.
I decided to use some of my new SuperComputer for Meteor Henry collisions, but it wasn’t working yet and I wasted a lot of time getting that up and running. Now it works great, but it cost me many hours. Still, the game will be less buggy in the end. I’m working out a few kinks in the engine because it hasn’t been fully adapted to the SuperComputer, but my test results look promising. I look forward to getting some code up here for you guys to chomp on, but it’s all tied together and I’d like to hand it out in one big fat package.
I came up with a time-exact method of collision detection that I’m really proud of. I need to have Ken see if it’s already in use somewhere. If not, maybe I can get my name in a few math books like those kids that discovered you can put 10 triangles in a box and still have room for your shoes (the theorum of trigonometric convenience). I really don’t know much about the math world, but as I was exploring time-exact collision detection I was told more than once that I’d have to use linear algebra, which I’m told I haven’t learned. As far as I can tell linear algebra is just vectors and matrices so maybe I have learned it. . . . Who cares. Anyway, I made something that works and if it’s some kind of wacky algebra, that’s cool, but if it’s not, maybe I just found a simpler way to do something.
All n’ all, more to come.